"Wonder" (2017)




Rating: PG  
Genre: Drama
Directed By: Stephen Chbosky
Written By: Jack Thorne, Steven Conrad, Stephen Chbosky
Released: December 1st, 2017
Runtime: 113 minutes
Studio: Lionsgate

Summary:
Based on the New York Times bestseller, Wonder tells the incredibly inspiring and heart-warming story of August Pullman, a boy with facial differences who enters fifth grade, attending a mainstream elementary school for the first time.

Review:
This is such a sweet and touching film. My roommate had been praising it since she went to see it in the cinema around the time it came out and it’s one I had been feeling so disappointed to have missed.

Stephen Chybosky seems to have a way with writing about characters who are in some manner or another somewhat socially inept. “The Perks of Being A Wallflower” is one of my favourite films, so the fact that he also wrote this film was another reason for my eagerness to watch it. His characters are all down to earth, all relatable in some way, and all feel like real people that you could be friends with yourself or could run into some day. A lot of this film, aside from Auggie’s appearance, had a strong theme of friendships and the manner in which they come and go and for different reasons. 


I know the whole film is about Auggie’s appearance but honestly. I think they pushed this home a bit too much. Yes, he has a deformity and looks a little different, but everyone looks different. I guess this is what the film was trying to get across but it tried too hard in my opinion. I’m not picking holes for the sake of it in an undeniably fantastic film. It is very clear how strong a person Auggie is and how much stronger he becomes as the film goes on. It just seems that almost everything that happens revolves around his appearance and while that might be the point of the film, I think they could have toned it down just a smidge. 

I loved that they looked at the film from a few of the characters’ points of views. From Auggie to his mother, to his friend, to his sister and even to her friend. As touching as Auggie’s story was, his sister’s story was almost equally as touching in its own right. 


Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson seem like a very unlikely pairing but you know what it works. Julia Roberts as always portrays her character with effortless grace and skill. Owen Wilson’s characters are a lot alike one another in many of his films, let’s be honest, but to be fair we wouldn’t notice it so much here. He had an important supporting role which I think suited him very well. 

This film had me in tears but it also made me smile. It’s very much a feel-good family affair. 


TRAILER: 





Comments