"The Duff" (2015)





Rating: PG-13
Genre: Comedy
Directed By: Ari Sandel
Written By: Josh A. Cagan
Released: April 6th, 2015 
Runtime: 100 minutes
Studio: Lionsgate Films


Summary:
When a smart secondary school student learns she’s the Designated Ugly Fat Friend in her popular clique, she enlists a jock’s help for a massive makeover.

Review:
I remember watching this film around the time it came out on DVD. I wasn’t blown away by it. The premise is completely contrived and not to mention an incredibly first word problem to base an entire movie around. 


What bothered me more was the fact that the girl in question wasn’t even fat or ugly! So where are they even getting this phrase? What makeover does she even need? I didn’t buy it. I felt the whole thing was inanely predictable and frankly, unnecessary. 

I didn’t find the jokes funny either. Although it’s fair to say that everyone’s humour is so different, so I can’t really say too much on that end of things. 

The only redeeming aspect of this film is Mae Whitman playing the lead character. She’s very charismatic in her role and she’s likable. 

Either way, personally, I would not recommend this film. 


TRAILER: 






Comments