"Sleepless In Seattle" (1993)




Rating: PG
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Directed By: Nora Ephron
Written By: Nora Ephron, David S. Ward, Jeff Arch, Larry Atlas
In Theatres: June 25th, 1993
Runtime: 105 minutes
Studio: TriStar Pictures

Summary:
After the death of his wife, Sam Baldwin (Tom Hanks) moves to Seattle with his son, Jonah (Ross Mallinger). When Jonah calls in to a talk-radio program to find a new wife for his father, Sam grudgingly gets on the line to discuss his feelings. Annie Reed (Meg Ryan), a reporter in Baltimore, hears Sam speak and falls for him, even though she is engaged. Unsure where it will lead, she writes Sam a letter asking him to meet her at the Empire State Building on Valentine's Day.

Review:
I actually really like this film! I think it’s so sweet! One would have to suspend disbelief at the abundant coincidences in the story, but the characters are all so touching and likeable I think it’s very easy to do that.

Jonah is a dote. The scenes between him and his father are so sweet, I love their relationship. I was cringing for Sam during the talk-radio program. Interestingly, the director, Nora Ephron, is the voice of one of the callers, “Disappointed in Denver”. Oh but can you imagine the awkwardness of the situation? It’s cute because Jonah only had his father’s best interests and wellbeing at heart, he meant well, but…*cringe*… 


Tom Hanks apparently turned down the role initially, thinking he wasn’t right for the part. Well, I’m glad he came around, because I found him quite suitable. Both he and Meg Ryan are very highly regarded actors, particularly during the making of this film, I guess, and I think they work really well together. What’s amazing is they don’t actually share a scene together until the very last scene. Isn’t that amazing when you think about it? How two actors can pull you in like that and make you so invested in their characters’ relationship, even though they’re apart in every scene? James McAvoy and Kiera Knightley do this exceedingly well in “Atonement” as well and I think it’s remarkable. 

The soundtrack was something else in this film I really liked. It's sort of jazzy featuring songs from Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole, Joe Cocker, among others. 

For sure I think this is one to look out for. It’s on Netflix actually. I definitely recommend checking it out. It’s not really one for the cynical minded, but if you are one for a cute romance story, this should be on your list of movies to see.


 TRAILER: 




Comments