"Whiplash" (2014)



Rating: R
Genre: Drama
Directed By: Damien Chazelle
Written By: Damien Chazelle
Released: October 10th, 2014
Runtime: 106 minutes
Studio: Sony Pictures Classics

Summary:
Andrew Neiman (Miles Teller) is an ambitious young jazz drummer, in pursuit of rising to the top of his elite music conservatory. Terence Fletcher (J.K. Simmons), an instructor known for his terrifying teaching methods, discovers Andrew and transfers the aspiring drummer into the top jazz ensemble, forever changing the young man's life. But Andrew's passion to achieve perfection quickly spirals into obsession, as his ruthless teacher pushes him to the brink of his ability and his sanity.



Review:
Wow. This is a brilliant movie. Just…wow.

J.K. Simmons is slightly terrifying in this. I’m used to watching him in his role in Juno, so placid and gentle. Where did this come from?! I found it stressful watching his outbursts. Slightly awestruck at the same time. He won Best Supporting Actor for the role – I think if he didn’t there’d be something up.

Miles Teller is a fantastic actor. This film shows that better than any of his others I’ve seen him in. The journey his character goes on is a bit scary and interesting to see played out at the same time. How far does a person go to achieve his ambitions and what it can cost. 

The film reminded me a lot of "Black Swan". Similar themes and circumstances where the main character became so obsessed with trying to succeed they lost all regard for their personal well-being, as well as dealing with an emotionally abusive instructor. 


The music is all jazz tunes which is all fun to listen to.


This film never felt as long as it is. I was surprised when it was over how fast that time had gone. It’s rare when I’m watching a film that all sense of time goes out the window. So that’s the sign of a brilliant movie there. I don’t know what else I can say. I enjoyed it thoroughly and highly recommend giving it a watch! 


TRAILER: 



Comments