"Cruel Intentions" (1999)




Rating: R:15
Genre: Drama
Directed By: Roger Kumble
Written By: Roger Kumble
Released: June 18th, 1999
Runtime: 94 minutes
Studio: Columbia Pictures

Review:
This film is an odd one. I’m not quite sure what to make of it. On one hand it’s not a bad film. On the other hand, I think it tries too hard to be cool and in trying so hard it sort of comes of off tackier than I think it means to. 

I feel like it wants to be a dark film and it wants to be really clever. I think instead it comes off as lamb dressed as mutton. Or when we used to play house when we were kids. Or like a new kid at school trying to fit in with the popular crowd and just falling short.  


I also feel that the characters are very unrelatable in a lot of ways. They’re a bit twisted and frankly just a bunch of spoiled rich teenagers with an unhealthy want of sex. The dialogue is a bit cringy as well in my opinion. 

I would argue that it got a bit better after the 50-minute mark. Even at that it wasn’t overly thrilling. 

Certainly not the best teen movie out there but at least I can say I’ve seen it now! 


TRAILER: 




Comments