"Revenge of the Nerds" (1984)





Rating: R:15
Genre: Comedy
Directed By: Jeff Kanew
Written By: Steve Zacharias, Jeff Buhai, Tim Metcalfe, David Obst, Miguel Tejada-Flores, Steven Zacharias
Released: July 20th, 1984
Runtime: 90 minutes
Studio: 20th Century Fox

Summary:
Geeky college students Gilbert (Anthony Edwards) and Lewis (Robert Carradine) are evicted from their dormitory when the Alpha Betas -- who recently burned down their own fraternity house by accident -- confiscate the building. When the college forces the freshmen to live in the gym, Gilbert, Lewis and their fellow dorks relocate to a run-down house. When the Alpha Betas, led by jock Stan (Ted McGinley), repeatedly humiliate them, the nerds plot revenge.


Review:
The tv show, The Goldbergs did an episode based on this film which I watched recently and realised this was a film I’d heard the name of often but had never actually seen. I enjoy The Goldbergs for their 80s movie references and wanting to get the references that had been made in this episode, I decided to watch this film.

I found it surprisingly very funny. A bit bonkers. At times a bit crude. It certainly blows the whole college experience out of proportion! But it’s got a nice feel to it. It’s the kind of film that could never have been made in this day and age. I’m not sure how I feel about the whole nerd-genre-typecast. In any case the group we have here are all likable and have a warm side.

With the odd laugh out loud moments I enjoyed this film.


TRAILER: 




Comments