"Clue" (1985)




Rating: PG
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Mystery
Directed By: Johnathon Lynn
Written By: Jonathan Landis, John Landis, Jonathan Lynn
Released: December 13th, 1985
Runtime: 96 minutes
Studio: Paramount Pictures

Summary:
Based on the popular board game, this comedy begins at a dinner party hosted by Mr. Boddy (Lee Ving), where he admits to blackmailing his visitors. These guests, who have been given aliases, are Mrs. Peacock (Eileen Brennan), Miss Scarlet (Lesley Ann Warren), Mr. Green (Michael McKean), professor Plum (Christopher Lloyd), Mrs. White (Madeline Kahn) and Col. Mustard (Martin Mull). When Boddy turns up murdered, all are suspects, and together they try to figure out who is the killer.


Review:
I really enjoyed this film. I thought it was a very clever and something original. I loved how they based it on the game. And I think they did so very, very well.

From start to finish the film aroused much chuckles and sometimes laugh out loud moments. The whole thing was very light-hearted, if not silly. A lot of slapstick and witty comedy.

Tim Curry was a great lead. I’m become so used to seeing him dressed up (It, The Rocky Horror Picture Show) that I found it a pleasant change to see him more as himself. He was very funny and many laughs were garnered from his performance. Christopher Lloyd, I found, almost unrecognisable at first. It took me a while to figure out who he was playing. Another brilliant comedy-man. All the cast together were very, very funny.


I loved how a variety of different possible endings were offered, as this brought it once again back to the board game on which it is based where there would never be one set ending. I think this added something extra to the film and added to the eccentricities.


All in all, a thoroughly entertaining watch. 


TRAILER: 






Comments