"6 Balloons" (2018)





Rating: NR
Genre: Drama
Directed By: Marja-Lewis Ryan
Written By: Marja-Lewis Ryan
Released: April 6th, 2018
Runtime: 75 minutes
Studio: Netflix

Summary:
Over the course of one night, a woman drives across Los Angeles with her brother, who is addicted to heroin, in search of a detox centre.

Review:
I was looking through Netflix and this came up in my recommendations. The name caught my eye. Mostly because it reminded me of the song “99 Red Balloons”. It wasn’t a very long film so curiosity got the better of me and I put it on. 


For what it is, I can’t fault it. As films about addictions, specifically drug addictions, go it’s actually up there with some of the best of them. The acting is really great, probably the film’s biggest saving grace for me. It’s very character-orientated. There’s little to no major action as such on screen, a lot of it is through the character’s dialogue. I felt it drag a little now and again. That might have just been me.

I liked that most of the focus was around the people affected by the addict as opposed to how the addiction affects the addict. I thought that was a different spin on this type of film. I think that the film does a great job of showing the scariness and stresses of it all. So for that I wouldn't say it wasn't worth my time watching it. 


That being said, I just didn’t love it as a whole. I don’t think I enjoyed it too much, it’s quite intense and all it really did was make me feel sad by the end of it…not necessarily in a good way. I don’t think this is something I would go out of my way to recommend.



TRAILER:







Comments