"IT" (2017)




Rating: R:18
Genre: Drama, Horror, Mystery & Suspense
Directed By: Andy Muschietti
Written By: Chase Palmer, Cary Joji Fukunaga, Gary Dauberman
In Theatres: Sept 8th, 2017
Runtime: 135 minutes
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures

Summary:
Seven young outcasts in Derry, Maine, are about to face their worst nightmare -- an ancient, shape-shifting evil that emerges from the sewer every 27 years to prey on the town's children. Banding together over the course of one horrifying summer, the friends must overcome their own personal fears to battle the murderous, bloodthirsty clown known as Pennywise.

Review:
As horror films go, this is a pretty damn good one! I think I prefer it to the original. I was afraid they wouldn’t make a good job of it, but they really did.

It has everything you could want in a film – jump scares, romance, well developed characters, 80s music (even if it is inappropriately used), 80s setting, blood and gore but not too much gore, good pace, good dialogue, the colour yellow – ah happy days… 


I almost wish that Pennywise wasn’t as hyped up as he has been. I think his over-exposure prior to watching the film, while it served to advertise it, lessoned the scare factor when watching it because we already knew what he looked like. We were already de-sanitised to his appearance so to speak so he was less scary. Although if you happen to be an individual who doesn’t take kindly to clowns then needless to say this probably doesn’t apply. Then there are some moments where the sight of Pennywise I found outright comedic. He started dancing at one stage and I just burst out laughing. I don’t think that was the reaction the scene was going for… It’s like whenever I watch “A Nightmare On Elm Street”, I always find the sight of Freddy falling down the stairs inappropriately hilarious.

I love all the characters and their friendship/relationships. I love the little romance between Bill and Beverly, I think it’s so cute. Although, the unrequited love Ben developed towards her was quite heart-breaking to watch actually... Richie is a bit annoying but in a funny obnoxious way! Each of these characters are so well portrayed, each stands on their own without leaning on another. I think this is partly due to the actors playing them, who are all brilliant in my opinion, and also obviously, they are creations of Steven King’s after all. This was one of the things that made this film so great for me because I cared so much about each one of them – whenever any of them came close to their possible demise I was shouting at the laptop screen. That only ever happens with a really damn good movie!!


The bullying was so harsh in this film. I was a bit taken aback by how far it all went. This was as horrifying as the whole Pennywise situations. I didn’t like it. But in a good way…if that makes sense. I think it added to the whole uneasiness of the story by going that bit further. I mean…one of the bullies cut one of our protagonists. Sure, this is often threatened but it’s rare I’ve seen a film go through with it. It took me by surprise I have to be honest.  

There was one scene in the middle of the film that I felt seriously lifted me out of the mood and I found it extremely jarring. I was just recovering from jumping out of my skin in a previous scene, and all of a sudden our protagonists are cleaning a bloody bathroom – to the song “Six Different Things” by The Cure!? Whaaatttt??? Oh no, no. I like that song, but no, no. It was completely off with the rest of the film. I understand that it’s set in 1989 and maybe they want to create an 80s theme or whatever, but this was really not the way to do that! It was really off and really jarring. I didn’t agree with this song choice at all. It was so random! It lifted me right out, it was quite disappointing actually. 

*Possible Spoiler*

The book spans over the space of 30 years, covering two timelines. First, when “The Loser Club” (as they affectionately refer to themselves as in the film) when they are teenagers battling IT, and the second when they are adults and return 27 years later to attempt to put IT his place again. This film covers only the first timeline, ending with a “Chapter One” title card and it is confirmed that a sequel is in the works… I’m terribly excited about it.

This is such a good film! I thoroughly enjoyed it, and recommend it whole-heartedly.



TRAILER: 




Comments