"Forrest Gump" (1994)



“Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get!”

Forrest Gump is...one of a kind. I don’t think there is any other way to describe both character and film. There is something really special about it. I love it. I think it’s my favourite film after Slumdog Millionaire.

The film opens with a feather floating through the air, which ultimately takes us to where our hero, Forrest Gump, is waiting at a bus stop. Here he engages conversation with the passersby as they come and go, ultimately dictating his life story up to the point he arrived at this bus stop. The feather is significant for many reasons and is a way of bookending the film as it appears just before the credits too. I like that.



Tom Hanks is more than fantastic playing the easily lovable Forrest Gump as he stumbles through life one significant historic event at a time. It’s easy to love Forrest. He’s a simple man but always with good intentions. And despite his low IQ, he certainly gets around! Over the course of his life he manages to meet Elvis Presley, John Lennon, various different American presidents, serve in the Vietnam War, develop a remarkable flair for ping-pong, and work for an incredibly successful shrimp selling business – as well as many more significant endeavours! During his time in the Vietnam War he makes a friend in Lieutenant Dan and another officer named Bubba, both of whom have a big impact on his life. However, at the heart of it, all these things are irrelevant to Forrest as he can only think about his “most special” and only childhood friend, Jenny. As he states early on in the film, “Jenny and me was like peas and carrots”.



The script for this film is a stroke of genius. Fantastic writing. There are some very profound lines, many of which were quotable for various English essays in school, I might add! There are some very profound concepts throughout the film too. Forrest wonders about life and whether we have a purpose or “whether we’re all just floatin’ accidental like on a breeze”...much like that feather at the opening of the film. I like that symbolism. I love the quote I’ve opened this review with. It’s one of my favourites. I think it’s just as much the manner in which Tom Hanks delivers them, as the actual lines themselves, that make them so memorable. Another of my favourite lines of the whole film is when Jenny has asked him what’s wrong with his legs having noticed the braces he has to wear, and his reply is “Nothing at all, thank you. My legs is just fine and dandy.” It makes me laugh every time I watch that scene.



The whole film is seen through Forrest’s eyes; it’s him narrating, it’s his story, and it’s the innocence of his character which makes this film all the more special. It’s obvious throughout his narration how much he loves his mother as a lot of his insightful lines begin with the words “My Mama always said...”. What I like about his character is that Forrest may not understand all the things in the world that others would, but he is smart is in his own unique way. He is very loyal to the people he loves; Jenny, his mother, Lieutenant Dan, Bubba. I loved how much Bubba was obsessed with shrimp. There’s actually a scene when Forrest first joins the army and Bubba is listing out all the things that can be done with shrimp. The list just goes on and on and on., until finally he stops and states “that’s about it.” It’s very funny. It’s funny too that the first thing Bubba is concerned about when they arrive in Vietnam is how good their shrimp is!

There are some brilliant gags throughout the film. It’s the subtlety that makes them so genius. It’s just very, very clever writing. My favourite one involves Elvis Presley. (I’ve been a big fan of Elvis since I was young). Forrest and his mother (excellently played by Sally Field) ran a bed and breakfast at their house. It so happened that Elvis Presley was among the many guests. He entertained Forrest by playing the guitar (my favourite Elvis song, ‘Hound Dog’, which probably made me love this scene even more!). A young Forrest danced along to the song as best he could with the braces on his legs. Then some night later while walking past a shop window, what should he and his mother see on the TV? Only Elvis dancing in the video of Hound Dog, doing the ‘the moves he got from watching Forrest’!! Brilliant. 



At a young age Forrest discovered his talent for running. Indeed, “that boy sure [was] a runnin’ fool”(!) I like that this is then a recurring theme throughout the film. His running helps him in so many ways. The scene in which he realises his talent is a great scene. I love the expressions of the boy who plays the younger Forrest.



At most this is a warm and funny film; a feel-good watch, but there are some sad aspects to it too. Each of the characters has their own journey to make throughout the story Forrest is telling. It’s one of those films that makes you just sit back and think, after the credits are over. I think it is just an amazing film.

“And that’s all I have to say about that.” (haha)


WATCH TRAILER





Comments