"Some Like It Hot" (1959)



Rating: G
Genre: Comedy, Drama
Directed By: Billy Wilder
Written By: Billy Wilder, I.A.L. Diamond
In Theatres: Mar 29, 1959
Runtime: 120 minutes
Studio: United Artists

Summary: 
After witnessing a Mafia murder, slick saxophone player Joe (Tony Curtis) and his long-suffering buddy, Jerry (Jack Lemmon), improvise a quick plan to escape from Chicago with their lives. Disguising themselves as women, they join an all-female jazz band and hop a train bound for sunny Florida. While Joe pretends to be a millionaire to win the band's beautiful singer, Sugar (Marilyn Monroe), Jerry finds himself pursued by a real millionaire (Joe E. Brown) as things heat up and the mobsters close in. 

Review: 
This film has been popping up quite a bit in articles I’ve read or recommendations, and while watching an episode of Sex And The City, the name came up again so I decided – I’m going to finally watch it. And I really loved it!

The plot is extremely entertaining. There were many moments I laughed out loud. One scene was when Daphne announced her “engagement” to the millionaire. Hysterical acting from Jack Lemmon. So, so funny. 

Truly, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in their feminine-get-up, are hilarious. I read somewhere that when Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon first put on the female make-up and costumes, they walked around the Goldwyn Studios where filming took place to see if they could "pass" as women. They even tried using mirrors in public ladies’ rooms “to fix” their makeup, and when none of the women using it complained, they knew they could be convincing as women. There is a scene on the train recreating this moment. 


I think this is the first and only film I’ve actually seen Marilyn Monroe in. A few sites I came across when reading up about this film after watching it, make remarks about her diva-like behaviour while on set…But ignoring anything that may or may not have gone down off camera and simply taking it at face-value, I thought she was great. This role really suited her and became one of her most iconic. It was certainly an opportunity for her to showcase her talents as an actor, comedian, and all-around performer.

Marylin had wanted the movie to be shot in colour (her contract required that all her films were to be in colour), but Billy Wilder convinced her to let it be shot in black and white. This was due to costume tests revealing that the makeup that Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon had to wear gave their faces a green tinge. Personally, I think it works very well in black and white and might even be funnier this way than if it had been in colour.


I really loved this film. Really, really enjoyed it. If you want a laugh I highly recommend it! It’s really great! 

Final Rating: 4/5 Stars 


TRAILER: 





Comments