"The Artist" (2011)



I wanted to watch this film since I haven't seen a silent movie before, and I just adore the fashion and mannerisms of people in that time. I’d read the wikipedia information on it before watching it, which I think helped me understand the story, which made me enjoy the film more.

The film takes place from 1927 – 1932. We are introduced to silent movie star, George Valentin (played by Jean Dujardin). Enthusastic fan Peppy Miller (played by Bérénice Bejo), litterally bumps into Valentin while he is posing for cameras. He plays along graciously. The following day, Peppy’s photo appears in the paper as people ask “Who’s That Girl?” and Peppy decides to audition for a dancing bit-part at the studio. Peppy slowly rises through the industry, and as the talking-pictures are introduced, Valentin’s world begins to be turned upside down… Directed by Michel Hazanavicious.

I can’t say after watching this I’m a tremendous fan of the silent era but I can’t say I didn’t enjoy this film just the same. The music was uplifting, very expressive, and I really loved all the costumes and style. I think Bérénice Bejo has a very expressive face which brought the story to life abundantly. It just goes to show really how much can be said without using words. It’s extraordinary and touches on a point made by Alfred Hitchcock who always tried to use implication where he deemed dialogue unnecessary. It was quite an effective method, really.

Director Michel Hazanavicious had wanted to make a silent movie for quite some time prior since a lot of his favourite filmmakers were within this era. He watched a lot of silent movies in order to get the technique right. The film was originally shot in colour, and then converted to black and white. Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo rehearsed the climatic dance routine for five months, practicing every day in the same studio that Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds rehearsed for “Singin’ In The Rain” in 1952 – That’s pretty cool.  

The film was extremely successful, receiving ten Academy Awards and winning five, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor. It was the first french film to receive Best Picture. This movie is considered to be the most awarded French Film ever in film history!

I enjoyed it more than I initially expected. I would recommend it. Maybe it’s not for everyone, but I would recommend it.


TRAILER:




Comments