"The Strangers" (2008)



After returning from a wedding reception, a couple staying in an isolated house receive a knock on the door in the middle of the night. What follows is a violent intrusion of three strangers, their faces hidden behind masks. Their reason when asked? – “Because you were home”.

I admit the plot sounds pretty barbaric and not in the least bit appealing. But this is actually an interesting movie due to the fact that it’s purely set within the house. Not many movies could get away with this. But the tension built is incredible. It relies heavily on the ‘fear of the unknown’ but pulls it off so well, it’s quite an experience. I remember watching the trailer with my friend and I got such a fright I screamed – and that was just the trailer! And what was great was that it didn’t put all the scary bits into the trailer so you knew it was coming when you were watching the movie. I really hate when that happens, it’s such an anticlimax. So disappointing. But this wasn’t.

The acting is good in this, it has to be said. Considering Liv Tyler was in every scene, often on her own, it's pretty impressive.

The only thing is, I have to say it did get a bit carried away with itself towards the end, too violent for my liking, so I just skipped that scene. I don’t think I’ve ever watched it but trust me it doesn’t matter. Up to that point if you enjoy horror movies then you will enjoy this.

Hmmm....There’s not a whole lot else really to say about this movie...it’s one you sort of have to just watch for yourself and see what happens...I think the less you know will probably make it better anyway!


TRAILER:



Comments