"Top Gun" (1986)


I like this movie. Navy pilot, Pete Mitchell aka "Maverick", is sent to Miramar Naval Air Station for advanced training. Once inside a jet, he’s daring and fearless. A competition for the award of “Top Gun” aka to be the best of the best, begins which Maverick is intent on winning, vying against Val Kilmer’s character, "Ice". Maverick pursues a romance with civilian consultant, Charlotte Blackwood, while also attempting to determine the mystery behind the death of his father, who was also a very successful and talented navy pilot.

I don’t think the characters were developed well enough. I felt sort of disconnected from them all the time. For me, it all felt a bit rushed, and some of the situations were a little clichéd. However, there is certainly plenty of action. In fact the opening scenes immediately throw you into the action. There are some impressive stunts and the special effects are brilliant. I imagine it would have been quite an experience to watch on the big screen. Tom Cruise wouldn’t be my favourite actor in the world, I’ve never really liked him much, but I do think he’s good as Maverick.

The music in this film is great. Songs such as Berlin’s “Take My Breath Away” and The Righteous Brothers’ “You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling” to name a few.

I did enjoy this film...it wouldn’t be my favourite film in the world, but it is likable and worth a watch.


TRAILER:



Comments