"P.S. I Love You" (2007)





Rating: PG-13
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Directed By:  Richard LaGravenese
Written By: Steven Rogers, Richard LaGravenese
Released: December 21st, 2007 
Runtime: 127 minutes
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures

Summary:
Following her husband, Gerry’s death due to a brain tumour, Holly begins receiving letters from him. As she tries to come to terms with life without Gerry, in time they begin to help her along the way, each one signed “P.S. I love you.”

Review:
I remember I loved this movie when it came out first! And even though it's not really my genre anymore, it's still pretty good. I really loved the book. I have to say I think the book is miles better than the movie, but the movie is good too in its own right. There were a number of changes made in the movie compared to the book, the biggest being the book is set in Ireland, while the film of course had to be set in America on account of having an American cast of actors. But they do go to Ireland during the film which was nice too. Holly’s family is a lot bigger in the book, which I loved. I loved the relationship she had with each of the members. But in the film it’s just Holly and her mother, who is played by Kathy Bates. Kathy Bates is a brilliant actress and I quite liked her in this. Hilary Swank plays Holly, while Gerard Butler plays Gerry. Cecelia Ahern said he was exactly how she imagined Gerry to look. From Ireland myself, I wasn’t gone on his Irish accent (Gerry was from Ireland in the film) but…ok, what are you going to do?! Lisa Kudrow is in this film too, playing one of Holly’s close friends, Denise. I think she was my favourite character and cast member. She’s brilliant.


There were some good moments. I like the scene in which Holly and her two friends Sharon and Denise are out on the boat. That was pretty funny. The moment in which Holly is asked to sing at a Karaoke night by Gerry in one of his letters is quite a nice one. Her singing talents are not the most wonderful, but as she is singing she imagines Gerry sitting at one of the tables in the audience, just him on his own, and I always very nearly get a lump in my throat. There are some lovely shots too, particularly in the scenes they come to Ireland. It makes one realise how distinctively green Ireland actually is…But nonetheless the scenery and the shots they got are really lovely.

There’s actually a deleted scene in which we see Gerry booking the girls’ trip to Ireland (in the book it was Spain, I think) and he’s sick enough at this point but never misses an opportunity to make a joke of it just to make the travel agent feel better. I loved that scene and really wish it had made it into the film because it sort of sums up the kind of character Gerry was; a fun loving, easy going, person who put a smile on everyone’s face.


I actually really love the soundtrack in this film. There are some great songs. “Fairy Tale of New York”, Chuck Prophet’s “No Other Love”, Ryan Star’s “Last Train Home”, and of course Paolo Nutini’s “Rewind”. Oh yes and we can’t go without mentioning “Galway Girl”. I think this film made that particular song a lot more popular in the time it first came out.

I like this film. I think it’s worth a watch. But I do really think the book is streets ahead of it.


TRAILER: 




Comments