"Inside I'm Dancing" / "Rory O'Shea Was Here" (2004)





Rating: R (for language)
Genre: Comedy, Drama
Directed By: Damien O'Donnell
Written By: Jeffrey Caine
Released: February 4th, 2005
Runtime: 105 minutes
Studio: Focus Features

Summary:
Set in Ireland, Dublin, Michael Connolly is a long-term resident of the Carrigmore Residential Home for the Disabled with cerebral palsy. However, his life is transformed following the arrival of free-spirited and outspoken Rory O’Shea, who has muscular dystrophy, at the care-home. Michael is stunned to discover that Rory can understand his almost unintelligible speech. The pair strike up an unlikely but immediate friendship, and decide to embark on a chance of living an independent life in an apartment of their own.

Review:
I love this movie so much! I love it, I love it, I love it. One of my favourites. It's just...I don't think it's possible to not smile while watching it. Ok, there are some sad moments over which I cried excessively, but...the majority is feel good I think. The characters are what really make it. The script is brilliant.

The character of Rory O’Shea has to be one of the best fictional characters ever created. He’s one of a kind! Annoying, unbelievably cheeky, and a slight pain in the ass, but extremely witty! He has some of the best lines of dialogue in any movie I've seen. He has a very captivating personality, I think. He goes out and embraces life as much as he can, and no kind of disability is going to stop him. He’s out for a laugh and doesn’t take anything too seriously.


James McAvoy’s acting abilities know no bounds. He’s fantastic. And can do a decent Irish accent. It usually annoys me when some actors in some movies make a balls of it because I’m always like “we don’t sound like that‼” But I was impressed with his. Romola Garai, who plays Siobhán, does a good Irish accent too - as we’re on the subject. Interesting fact: she also plays Briony Tallis in 'Atonement'! And I did not recognise her at all, nor did I make this connection until just recently. Feel like a bit of a gom since I actually assumed she was Irish until I watched some interviews about this movie. And I've watched both films so many times! *covers face* That's a bit embarrassing.

Steven Robertson is nothing short of amazing. He really is. The character of Michael Connolly is so lovable and so sweet. The characters of Rory and Michael are like polar opposites in a sense. Rory is so outspoken and confident, while Michael is more naive and innocent. I really love their relationship. Rory sort of barges into Michael’s grey-scaled life, if you like, and throughout the film paints it in more luminous colours. – for the sake of including a metopher! He instantly takes it upon himself to look after Michael and take him under his wing. Rory introduces Michael to all the things he was shying away from and shows him life is far more than what’s between the walls of the care-home.


There’s a bit of a love triangle which sort of creeps up between Rory, Michael and Siobhan. But it’s nice that it’s not focused on, or made a particular thing of until later. The most of it is told through camera shots, camera angles. I think this added far more to it. It’s like the saying goes ‘a picture tells a thousand words’… It’s brought about through suggestion.

Rory's father is actually quite a character too and one I think would get overlooked. He's a really nice character. I love how much he loves football.

One scene I really like is the club scene actually. It's just such a happy scene and I don't see how you couldn't smile watching it. It's Rory's smile. He's got such a care free attitude. He's just there to have fun and doesn't care about anyone else's opinions. I feel like this scene in particular embodies the spirit of his character. I just love how happy it is.


James McAvoy's facial expressions are quite funny. There's a particular scene when they're interviewing for an assistant in their apartment and they're getting all these odd characters (to say the least) and his facial expressions are quite priceless.

This film doesn’t particularly seem to shy away from anything. It shows the realities of having a disability, faces them head on. Just says it how it is without any more to it. There was some controversy over the fact that people with these disabilities weren’t cast for the parts, instead casting actors who aren’t even in wheelchairs. I guess they have a point to be fair. But it’s still an absolutely brilliant film.

If you haven’t seen it yet, you really need to! Immediately!


TRAILER: 






Comments