"The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" (2012)



I said I’d write about this movie next since the sequel is out in cinemas now! British retirees travel to India to take up residence in what they believe is a newly restored hotel. Less luxurious than its advertisements, the Marigold Hotel nevertheless slowly begins to charm in unexpected ways.

I admit I didn’t think much of this movie the first time I watched it. I think the pace is very, very slow moving. The story is good…it just takes a while to get there! And while I like Judi Dench’s character’s narrations, sometimes they can be a bit dreary! But her character does offer some consoling ideas to life’s unpredictability, which I like. There’s a nice message at the heart of the plot, which could be easily overlooked due to the slowness of the pace.

In my opinion, it’s Dev Patel who steals the show, as the hapless hotel manager, Sonny. He’s just brilliant. I just can’t understand how we hear so little of him. He’s a brilliant actor. His character has one particular quote that I really like: “Everything will be alright in the end. So if it is not yet alright, it is not yet the end.” I have referred to it on several occasions since watching this movie. Interestingly, the actress (Tena Desae) of Sonny’s girlfriend Sunaina, would actually have been the actress to play Latika in Slumdog Millionaire, had Freida Pinto not got the part. Maggie Smith is also another member of the cast who just steals the show. She’s great!

Like Slumdog Millionaire, we are thrown head first into the chaotic life India has to offer. It's of course it's a very different lifestyle and for many of the residents, takes some getting used to, while others adapt very quickly, embracing India's traditions with open arms.

There's not much else that can really be said about this movie I think...It's one that relies heavily on the likability of the characters and how well the audience can get on board with them...It doesn't have much else in the way of drawing you in - on the first watch at least. Yeah...It's not a film I would go broadcasting in a hurry for people to watch, but it's a nice movie all the same.



TRAILER:





Comments